Apple pie bars are a fun and practical twist on the classic apple pie. These treats are a portable, easy-to-share alternative. They’re perfect for picnics, potlucks, or desserts. Whether you’re baking them for a special occasion or simply craving something sweet, apple pie bars are a great choice.
Serve them warm or cold with ice cream or whipped cream. You can also dust them with powdered sugar or drizzle them with caramel for an extra indulgence.
Apple pie filling
Apple Pie Filling
Take the bars out of the oven and let them cool.
Makes 32 servings
Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Store for up to a week
This apple pie bar recipe is also an excellent solution if you have an abundance of apples from your backyard. You can easily use up quite a few for this recipe. If you want to save the bars for later, you can store apple bars in the freezer for up to 4-6 months. Proper storage is key to preserving the taste and texture of your apple pie bars.
Here’s how to do it:
1. Allow the Pie to Cool: Ensure your bars have cooled completely before freezing. Warm or hot pies can create excess moisture in the freezer, affecting their quality.
2. Wrap Them Well: Wrap the bars tightly to prevent freezer burn and exposure to odors. You can use several layers of parchment paper or aluminum foil and place them in glass containers with airtight lids or silicone storage bags.
3. Label and Date: Always label the package with the date it was frozen so you can keep track of its storage time.
4. Freeze Quickly: Place the bars in the coldest part of your freezer, typically the back. Make sure the freezer is set to 0°F or lower.
5. Reheating: You can reheat the apple pie bars directly from the freezer when you’re ready to enjoy them. Preheat your oven to 350°F, place the frozen bars in the oven, and bake for about 25-30 minutes or until they are heated through and the crust is crisp. You can also microwave individual bars for a quicker option, but the crust won’t be as crispy.
Remember that while the bars will be safe to eat beyond six months, their quality may begin to deteriorate and develop freezer burn, affecting their taste and texture. Consume your frozen apple pie bars within the recommended storage time for the best results.